Things you can do with old PC.


   I have an old PC and I don't want to throw it away. I got a lot of memories with. But it was just lying in my room taking up room spce. So I decided to google and find out things I can do with it. Here's what I did with my old PC.



Dismantle and paint.
If you ever own a desktop PC from year 2000's, you would know how bulky the cabinets were. Mine itself is 6 inch wide and around 15inch in height and length. I removed the side panel, and cut a square piece of metal from it and replaced it with acryllic sheet. I used 8 half an inch bolt and nut to fix the acryllic sheet on the side panel. This now exposes the inner hardware of my PC.Further I repainted my cabinet from plain white box to cool blue colour. Also using the output of the excess USB, I put LED lights inside the cabinet. Further i put a switch on exterior so that I can switch on/off the LEDs. It looks awesome when it glows at night.



Installed new OS.
The hardware I had was merely capable of running Windows 7 basic. I replaced my old PC's OS with Lubuntu, which is a light version of Ubuntu, specifically designed for old PC's. To be honest I had problems tweaking graphic drivers for better performance. After going through documentation and the community forum, my problem was solved. The new OS runs smooth without any glitch. Also it takes only 22 seconds for my machine to boot which I guess is quick for my kind of machine.

My retro gaming center.
Look up on eBay, and you might findsome of the old games. I found Need for Speed 4, RC Racing and some other games whose name I don't remember but are very cool to play! Well you can upgrade your RAM and graphic card if you want to. Remember 2005 was the best year in gaming, atleast this is what I believe. Many good games were made and released during this period. You can use use your old PC to enjoy these game, since many new laptops are having compatibility problem.



Download center.
You can use your old PC for download. Slow hardware marginally affects download speed. So its good idea to download torrents on old PC. I downloaded my copy of Lubuntu on old PC itself. Its internet speed that matters.

Data Backup Center.
Alternatively, you can also use the old PC hard drive as place to store your important documents, backup, or music. People with low internet speed and those who are unable to use cloud storage for backup can benefit from old PC. Using third party software and app you can share data among your phone and PC. I'll post in future on how to share data between phone and PC.

Lastly, you can refurbish it and give it away to charity. :)